When we first started experimenting with inflatable kayaks and SUPs we realized exactly just how much work was involved. If you want a truly sturdy vessel, then you are going to have to pump it up to the required volume. Even with some impressive upper body strength, this can be tough to do with a foot pump. This is why we decided to find the best inflatable SUP electric pumps and kayak electric pumps out there.
It is important to remember that not all electric air pumps are right for you inflatable vessel. So, to make sure that you pick the most suitable one, check out the information as well as the reviews that we compiled below.
How to Choose a SUP and Kayak Electric Pump
You should first be aware of the different elements and systems that you have to choose from when selecting an electric pump. The top ones are described here:
Single vs. Dual Stage Pump
When you look through the various choices for electric pumps, you will see that there are two main types to select from single and dual stage pumps. Of course, this might not mean much to you so let’s take a closer look at this.
The one-stage pumps are pretty simplistic in their function. The pump simply causes air into your kayak or SUP until it has been inflated to the right proportions. The dual pump, on the other hand, does this in separate stages.
To start with, the pump will first inflate the vessel at a higher volume. Then, once the craft has been inflated to a set volume, the pump will switch to the second stage. This causes the pressure ratio to increase at this point. The benefit of this kind of pump is that it is often more powerful, allowing you to inflate your kayak or SUP more quickly.
It is vital that you select a pump that comes with a nozzle, gasket, or adapter that is perfectly suited to your vessel. It is this feature that allows the hose from the pump to fit perfectly into the valve of your kayak or SUP. The vessel can then be inflated quickly and efficiently.
Now, most inflatable paddle boards are equipped with what is known as Halkey-Roberts valve. Inflatable kayaks may be more likely to have a Boston valve. Of course, the exact valve will depend on the manufacturer.
This is why you should always check the manufacturer’s manual before going to purchase a pump. By comparing the valve with a pump’s adapters, you will be able to see whether or not it is a good match for the inflatable vessel that you have.
You should also be aware that each pump will have a different pressure range. So, some may have a lower pressure range than others. On top of this, each inflatable kayak and SUP will have a minimum required pressure to be pumped up.
This is another detail that you need to check on before selecting a particular air pump. First, determine just how much air pressure it will take to inflate your vessel. Then look at the manufacturer’s details on the pump – are they compatible?
Car Battery vs. Battery Powered
Most of the air pumps that you will find can be operated with the help of your car. This is why they are equipped with a plug that can be put into the cigarette lighter plug. There are also ones that can be directly hooked up to your car battery.
The benefit of these is that you are unlikely to run out of power. Since these pumps don’t use much, such an option is great if you want to inflate multiple kayaks or SUPs without needing to take batteries with you.
However, if you are headed to a place where you can’t take your vehicle, then the battery-powered option will be more useful. As you can imagine, it is important to take backups with such pumps. Not to mention, these may not always be as powerful as those that are operated by a car battery.
It can be difficult to know exactly when your kayak or SUP has been inflated to the ideal amount. So, unless you are watching very carefully, you may miss this point. To avoid such a situation, it is best to look for electric air pumps with an automatic shut-off.
These pumps are self-monitoring. Once you have inputted your desired pressure, then the pump keeps track of the pressure in the inflating kayak or SUP. when it reaches the recommended pressure, the pump automatically shuts off, preventing it from being inflated further.
Best Inflatable SUP and Kayak Electric Pump Reviews
Now, let’s take a look at the top electric pumps that you can buy to inflate your paddle board or kayak:
- Made to Share - 20PSI HIGH PRESSURE FOR UP TO 3 BOARDS IN A ROW - Enjoy a sleekly designed pump with...
- DUAL STAGE & AUTO OFF FOR EASY INFLATION - Automatic dual stage pump: 1st stage for MAXIMUM SPEED at...
- CERTIFICATIONS - The SHARK has gone through rigorous testing and has CA65 and CE certifications.
- 12V DC CAR CONNECTOR & 3 NOZZLES ATTACHMENTS - Connects to your car's 12V DC connector. Features a...
- DIGITAL DISPLAY WITH REAL TIME PRESSURE MONITORING - Use the digital display to set your desired...
If you are looking to take the hassle out of inflating your SUP or your kayak, then this is the pump for you.
The inflating features ensure that it is easy to use with many programmed features to make the process automatic.
What’s more, the pump is quite versatile and suitable for various types of inflatable vessel.
- DC 12V Car Power Supply- 12V cigarette lighter socket that can connect with your car to get power...
- 0-20 PSI for Choosing in LCD Display - PSI and BAR for selection at your convenience. Set a target...
- Easy & Quick Inflation and Deflation- Simply plug into the power and connect the hose for using....
- Automatically Stops at Set Value - automatically stops when it reaches the desired pressure or after...
- Compact, Portable and Versatile - size about 25 x 17x 13cm, easy to store and carry. Quick-Fill...
With the help of the Nalanda electric pump, you will be on your way to enjoy paddle boarding or kayaking in no time at all.
This pump is portable, simple to use, and can be taken virtually everywhere.
There is very little effort involved in using this air pump.
This is a versatile air pump that can be used for a number of inflatable water vessels. Therefore, it should easily be suitable for your SUP or kayak.
The air pump works systematically, ensuring that your vessel is perfectly inflated each and every time.
You should be able to take it with on any trip that you are going on.
- Portable, lightweight and compact / High Pressure Piston Pump
- Stops automatically when selected pressure setting is reached / Inflates Only
- Included: 102" (8'6") cable w/alligator clips / 72" (6') inflation hose / Common valve adapters
- Weighs 2.6 lbs. Dimensions: 8" x 4" x 5".
- Inflates from 1 to 14.5 psi. Inflates in minutes depending on the Inflatable / 12 Volt Battery not...
This is the pump to have if you have both SUPs and kayaks with you as it is powerful and highly compatible.
Easily portable, you can take this pump to virtually any environment as it is battery operated.
The pump is also fairly easy to use, regardless of where you are.
- PRESET FUNCTION : Intelligent DC electric pump with adjustable PSI air pressure setting showing...
- DETACHABLE AIR HOSE : 3.3 feet heavy duty accordion style extension air hose with high pressure...
- DIGITAL DISPLAY : Inflates your SUP stand up paddle board or beach toys from 0-16 PSI in just...
- COMPACT & PORTABLE DESIGN : Button adjustable PSI air output settings for compatibility with a wide...
- MULTI UNIT DISPLAY : Unit select button lets you choose from psi, KPA or mbar. SereneLife SUP pump...
This air pump does involve some hassle when inflating your SUP and kayak due to all its features and settings.
As an added bonus, the air pump is also highly compatible, allowing you to use it with multiple vessels.
Its small size makes it a breeze to carry around with you.
- Quickly Inflate or Deflate: This quick-fill and high pressure portable electric air pump is designed...
- Various Sizes of Nozzles: The various sizes of nozzles can fit most inflatables that need to inflate...
- Compact & Lightweight: OKPOW high pressure AC/DC electric air pump is convenient to pack and...
- Easy to Use & Low Noise: Electric air mattress pump is portable for operation independently by one...
- Safety & Warranty: 45 days money back, 12 months warranty and 24*7 friendly customer service and...
Despite its compact size, this is actually a rather powerful air pump, ensuring that it will be able to tackle most vessels with ease.
In addition to this, it is also highly compatible and so it will fit any SUP or kayak that you have without any trouble at all.
Best Inflatable SUP / Kayak Electric Pump
So, which one can be really crowned the best among all of these superior pumps?
Well, that would have to be the OutDoorMaster.
It is really simple to use and set up and compatible enough to be taken anywhere with you. It is also highly compatible with most inflatable vessels and can be customized according to each make and model.
How Do You Use an Electric Pump?
With the help of an adaptor, you can fix the tube of the electric pump onto the paddle board or kayak valve. Once the pieces have been locked in, you can begin the pumping process.
How Long Does It Take to Inflate a SUP or Kayak?
The time to complete inflation depends on the power of the electric pump as well as the overall volume of the kayak or the paddle board.
Can Use an iSUP or Kayak Pump for Other Vessels?
As long as the electric pump is powerful enough, you should be able to use it to inflate a number of other inflatable water vessels.
Can You Over-inflate a Kayak or SUP with an Electric Pump?
Most modern electric pumps are equipped with an auto shut-off feature. Therefore, you don’t need to worry about over-inflating your kayak or SUP.
Can You Deflate a Kayak or SUP with an Electric Pump?
There are certain electric pumps that have a deflate feature. This allows the pump to work in reverse to its original function.
This concludes this buyer’s guide for the best pump for inflatable SUPs and kayaks. You should have no trouble finding an electric pump that will help you to get out on the water in the least amount of time.
This page was last updated on 2022-08-29. Affiliate links and Product Images are from Amazon PAAPI