Have you been looking for a good fishing reel for walleye? Spinning reels are a great choice that can help you attract walleye, help with the distance and the casting. We understand that picking a good walleye reel can be a tricky process.
Hence, we have picked some of the best walleye reels for you to help you purchase the right one for you. Read ahead to find reviews of the best five walleye reels for 2020.
We have also compiled a buyers’ guide and a Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) section to answer any queries you may have about walleye reels.
Best 5 Walleye Reels for 2022
We have taken our time to compile a list of the best walleye reels. Read ahead as we list these out for you.
- KastKing Summer and Centron Spinning Reels
- Penn Battle II Spinning Fishing Reel
- Okuma Ceymar Spinning Reel
- Daiwa Bg Spinning Reel
- Pflueger President Spinning Fishing Reel
Walleye Reel Reviews
Here we are to finally give you our in-depth reviews for the best walleye reels. Read ahead for these.
KastKing Summer and Centron Spinning Reels
- GREAT VALUE - Loaded with features yet low on price. KastKing Summer/Centron offers the best...
- LIGHTWEIGHT - narrow graphite frame design and computer balancing system combined with high...
- HIGH POWERED - KastKing Summer/Centron spinning reel's Superior Drag System offers incredible...
- SMOOTH PERFORMANCE - Summer/Centron's nine quality ball bearings and one instant stop one-way...
- LOOKING GOOD - Summer/Centron's attractive, brilliant finish and its high strength two color...
This is one of the most affordable spinning reels for walleye available on the market. With this, it has a narrow graphite frame and a computer balancing system that makes it perform extremely well. It is also extremely compact and can fit easily into any small space you may have.
You will also find a superior drag system that has an incredible stopping power of 17.5 pounds. Hence, it can resist large fish like walleye that exert a lot of pulling power. For the same purpose, it also has a hardened metal main shaft, precision machined pinion, and a perfect mesh drive gear. This gives it the right fighting power needed to control walleye.
For smooth performance and good control, there are nine ball bearings of the best quality. There is also an instant stop one-way anti-reverse bearing that lets you back-reel with ease. If looking good while fishing is your priority, this walleye reel will not disappoint.
It is one of the best walleye reels that looks aesthetic with its sleek body and two-color anodized aluminum spool.
- Gear ratio: 5:0:1
- Frame material: Graphite
- Ball-bearing: 4+1
- Weight: 7.6 to 9.5 oz.
- Interchangeable hand retrieve present
- Excellent stopping power for walleye
- Can catch bigger fish
- Pleasing to the eye
- Compact and lightweight
- Great anti-reverse technology
- The manual operation may tire your arms out
- May knot and tangle spool when filled to the top
Penn Battle II Spinning Fishing Reel
- Durable, high range spinning reel ideal for conquering big saltwater game fish
- Full metal body, side plate, and rotor and heavy duty aluminum bail wire offer exceptional...
- Multi stop anti-reverse and ball bearing deliver smooth performance
- Fluid cranking with 5 sealed stainless steel ball bearings and instant anti-reverse bearing
- Superline spool requires no backing, is braid ready, and has line capacity rings marked at 1/3, 2/3,...
This is a high-rage spinning reel that is very popularly used for walleye. It is one of the best walleye reel as it is very durable. It is a reel made especially for larger fish and fits the walleye perfectly well.
It was originally made for saltwater fish, but its superior toughness makes it just the right reel for big game like walleye. For this, it is made of a heavy-duty aluminum bail wire and a complete metal body, rotor, and side plate.
It also combines a smooth fishing experience with good fighting power. It does this with the HT 100 carbon fiber drag system that enables just this. One of the most important features of a good walleye reel is its anti-reverse system.
With this reel, you have 5 stainless steel ball bearings and instant anti-reverse bearings. Once the hook has been set, this removes the back play from the rotor. Because of the stainless ball bearings, you can trust them to stay corrosion-free for long.
There is also a super line spool that will use lines to direct you as to how many lines you have left on your spool.
- Gear ratio: 6:2:1
- Frame material: full metal
- Ball bearing: 6
- Reel size: 3000
- Heavy-duty aluminum bail wire
- Carbon fiber drag washers
- Extremely tough for big fish like walleye
- Good anti-reverse mechanism
- Very durable
- Braid-read superline spool
- Ensures smooth performance
- Can prove heavy
- The reel may be stiff
Okuma Ceymar Spinning Reel
- Multi-disc, oiled felt drag system, Max Drag Pressure - 5-lbs
- Quick-set anti-reverse roller bearing
- Precision machine cut brass pinion gear
- Machined aluminum, 2-tone anodized spool
- Monofilament line capacity (diameter in mm.) - 210/2 (0.12) 110/4 (0.17) 70/6 (0.22)
This reel is of extremely high quality and very affordable. It is one of the best walleye reel on the market.
It is an excellent choice for those new to fishing walleye as it is lightweight and easy to handle. It has a design that is constructed to steer off the bulk and keep the fishing experience easy.
It has a few models, but the C-10 model is a lightweight design. It can hold lines that are anywhere between 2 to 6 pounds but can even hold heavier lines quite well. For larger walleye, it is recommended that you use the C-30 0r C-40 models.
It has an eight-bearing drive system that allows excellent performance. It also has a rigid spool made of aluminum that works very well with monofilament and braided fishing lines. It also has an aluminum heavy-duty bail wire that makes it very durable.
The EVA handle knobs add comfort as you handle the reel. You will also find the Okuma RESII technology that prevents wobble as the reel spins quickly.
- Gear ratio: 5:0:1
- Frame material: aluminum
- Ball bearing: 8
- Weight: 4 lbs
- Maximum drag pressure of 5 lbs
- 2-toned anodized spool
- Prevents wobbling
- Extremely durable
- Promotes comfort while fishing
- Versatile models for walleye
- Smaller models may not work well on walleye
Daiwa Bg Spinning Reel
- Black Anodized Machined Aluminum Housing ("Hard Bodyz" Body & Side Cover), Over-sized Digigear...
- Solid Screw-In Handle, Air Rotor, Dynamic Cut Aluminum ABS Spool
- Braided Line Ready Spool, Waterproof Drag System, Carbon ATD, Line Per Handle Turn: 37.4"
- Manual Return Bail (4500 and Larger), 6BB+1RB, Gear Ratio: 5.6:1, Drag Max:15.4
- Line Capacity (Lb. Test / Yards): 8/240, 10/200, 12/170 J-BRAID: 15/280, 20/240, 30/190
This is the best walleye reel for its excellent aluminum construction. It looks extremely stylish and modern but is sturdy and reliable at the same time. Its drag system is also waterproof for durability.
To make it sturdy, it has a Digigear system and a dynamic cut ABS spool. You need not be worried about the line twisting and knotting as its large roller on bail works to prevent this.
It also has a paddle that will stay put very tight so that it feels sturdy as you fish large walleye. It has an instant-reverse feature and a 6 + 1 bearing drive. Hence, it lets you comfortably fish for several hours at a time.
- Gear ratio: 5:6:1
- Frame material: Black Anodized Machined Aluminum
- Ball bearing: 7
- Product dimensions: 6 x 5 x 4 inches
- Maximum drag pressure of 4.4 lbs
- Solid screw-in handle
- Infinite anti-reverse system
- Durable due to Waterproof drag system
- Smoothly works with walleye
- Strong aluminum body
- Heavy body
- Not fully constructed with metal
Pflueger President Spinning Fishing Reel
- 7 bearing System corrosion resistant stainless steel ball bearings
- Graphite body and rotor lightweight graphite reel construction.Braid ready spool allows Braid to be...
- Sealed Drag System Sealed drag washers, always lubricated, always smooth.Slow oscillation gearing...
- The “B” at the end of the model number represents the type of packaging (B= Claim, X= Box) and...
For an excellent retrieve, as you fish walleye, this is the best walleye reel on the market. It also has a 10-bearing system to enable this.
Yes, it is a lightweight reel that is great for those new to fishing walleye. For this, it has a graphite rotor and body. These also make it a very durable purchase. If you like working with a braided line, this reel has vertical grommets in a series that lets you add the braid to the body directly.
It has a sure-click bail made of aluminum that makes it a strong model. For consistent drag pressure and to make it resist any corrosion, there is an oil felt made of stainless steel.
For comfort, the knob is soft to the touch and ergonomic. If you’re in a hurry, it is easy to grab it and move. For durability, its handle is made from aluminum that is of aircraft-grade.
Do note that its bearing system is an unsealed one. This can make it gather debris quickly and will require cleaning often. This is especially true for saltwater fishing. However, because walleye is a freshwater fish, the bearing is easier to keep clean.
- Gear ratio: 5:2:1
- Frame material: Graphite
- Ball bearing: 7
- Braid-ready spool
- Reel size: 20
- Sealed drag system
- Slow oscillation
- Brilliant retrieve
- Extremely comfortable
- Very durable
- Strong body
- Lightweight reel for heavy walleye
- Very smooth casting
- Unsealed bearing system that needs constant cleaning
- Gears may grind
- Tight drag
Buyer’s Guide for Walleye Reels
We know that a good walleye reel can be difficult to pick. You will have to prioritize your needs and pick the one that suits your angling the best. This is especially crucial if you are new to fishing walleye.
Read ahead as we outline what you should look for in a good walleye reel.
The capacity of the Reel
Walleye tend to stay and swim about 20 feet below the water surface. You will need enough line on your reel to reach this depth.
Hence the capacity of your reel can indicate just how much line it can hold. Good reels on the market will make sure to tell you the reel capacity. If you want a versatile fishing reel that you can use on many species of fish, pick one that can handle various lengths.
For walleye, thick and long lines work well. With this in mind, you can pick your reel capacity.
When you fish walleye, several rod materials are used. If you are planning on using baitcasting rods, or viz-a-viz poles, spinning reels may not work best. However, they work very well with most other rods of any other material.
Familiarize yourself with your rod type and see if it is compatible with your reel before you buy it.
For fish like walleye, reel power is crucial. This is also called retrieval power. If you reel has good retrieval power, you can be sure that your walleye can be brought out of the water with ease.
You also need to ensure that there is a good drag system for a powerful reel. A smooth drag system will let you easily pull the walleye out. Look for a reel that will also let you make any adjustments to the drag.
The bearings on the reel will affect just how fast your reel will spin for better retrieval. Aluminum bearings work very well to monitor speed. It is no good if you choose a reel that is fast but wobbles.
Pair good reel bearings with a reel that has a sturdy body for the best fishing experience. For walleye, about 10 bearings are ideal. 8 bearings also work very well.
Type of Line
The line that you plan on using to fish walleye should be compatible with your reel. Most reels work very well with monofilament or fluorocarbon lines. However, a few of them are specially made for braided lines.
With walleye, you won’t specifically need a braided line, and thinner lines do just as well. Hence, most spinning reels will accommodate these. However, it is a good idea to narrow down your line material before you buy a reel.
A sturdy reel is more durable than other kinds. Look for a reel that can take heavy-duty fishing. With this, you will be sure that your reel can be used in various conditions ad regularly.
This is especially true if you plan on fishing often. An aluminum, waterproof reel will offer the best durability.
Now that you know what to look for in the best walleye reel, here are a few popular questions answered for you.
What Gear-Ratio Should I Pick for Walleye?
As the reel turns, the line speed for each turn is called the gear ratio. Walleye live in depths of 20 feet or lesser. Hence, a gear ratio of 6:0:1 should work just fine.
How Can I Care for My Spinning Reel for Walleye?
It is a good idea to maintain it regularly and give it some good care. If your bearing system is open, make sure to clean it out often so that no debris remains and obstructs fishing.
Do I Need a Heavy Reel?
If you are a beginner, you may not be able to handle the weight of the bigger reels until you learn how to fish well. Lightweight reels can let you learn on the go. Many manufacturers make sturdy lightweight reels that work very well on walleye.
How Are the Bearings and Speed Connected?
The more the bearings on your reel, the faster it will spin. For a walleye reel, 8 to 10 ball bearings give the perfect reel speed.
We’ve looked at some of the best walleye reel for your fishing needs. These reels are spinning reels and work very well on walleye. We have taken the time to understand each reel to give you in-depth reviews.
Since buying a spinning reel for walleye can be complex, we have also put together a buying guide that introduces you to the features of walleye reels. From the heaviness of the reel to the number of ball bearings, all of these queries have been answered in the last section.
If you are a novice to walleye fishing, what are you waiting for? With our reviews, you will be able to make your best purchase.
This page was last updated on 2022-08-29. Affiliate links and Product Images are from Amazon PAAPI