If you are a fishing enthusiast, you would know that you cannot just use any rod to catch walleye. Though these fishes do not fight, their bite is very soft to detect, making it a challenging affair. To make walleye-catching a piece of cake for you, this article brings the best walleye rod of 2021!
Whether you are a fresher or an experienced fisherman, you need to have complete knowledge about your fishing gear. It will not only level-up your game but also make your fishing time fun and easy. Do you think walleye-catching is a difficult job? Not anymore!
In this article, you will get an insight into the different types of walleye rods—jigging, trolling, and spinning. Further, here’s a list of the top 3 walleye rods of each type. That is not all. Along with the top 9 walleye rods, this article will also tell you the things you should look for while buying.
So, without any further ado, let’s dive in!
Best Walleye Jigging Rods
- E-glass blank offers incredible pulling power
- Glass blanks offer shock reduction when using braided line
- Alps pyramid-shaped 2-tone anodized aluminum reel seat is more ergonomic and offers more control
- Alps high-rise 316 stainless steel guide frames with Zirconium guide inserts reduce friction from...
- Cedros rods are Backed by a limited Lifetime Warranty
One of the top requirements in the best walleye jigging rod is sensitivity, and the Okuma fits here perfectly. It has an e-glass blank, which will let you know as soon as the walleye bites on it. Furthermore, it renders incredible pulling power for fast action.
You must be knowing that for jigging, opting for a light to a medium line is the wisest choice. However, if you use a braided line with this rod, the Okuma Cedros will extend greater shock reduction.
What’s more? Its reel seat is strong and durable, constructed of anodized aluminum. Shaped as the Alps pyramid, its reel seat renders complete control along with an ergonomic experience. Moreover, its stainless-steel guide is made of Zirconium, which helps in reducing friction from the lines.
Thus, you can say that the rod is built with quality materials and is sure to last long. The Okuma Cedros is a complete package with an extremely comfortable handle. Its blank is feather-light and allows you to cast in tighter spaces without much difficulty.
- E-glass bank
- High-rise stainless-steel guide frames
- The anodized aluminum reel seat
- 5 feet 6 inches
- Feather-like blank makes for a sensitive rod
- Short length lets you pull back quickly
- Comfortable handle for reduced fatigue
- Quality construction made to last long
- Flexible at the tip for easy cast and retrieval
- Lifetime limited warranty
- Not good for big fishes (such as bluefin)
Overall, the Okuma Cedros is light yet strong, has a comfortable handle, impressive eye design, and brilliant sensitivity. Moreover, it lets you cast in tighter spaces without hitting branches. The best part—it comes with a lifetime warranty on limited parts!
Fiblink Saltwater Fishing Rod Carbon Fiber Jigging Rod with 2 Piece Twin-Tip Spinning & Casting Portable Rod
- Unique and Professional Design--It comes with two types of rod - spinning and casting.Two fishing...
- Reel Seat and EVA Handle--30-50 lbs DPS reel seat with stainless steel hoods resists saltwater...
- High-quality Guides:Stainless steel guides mixed with ceramic inserts makes it more smooth,aviods...
- All-aluminum gimbal--This gimbal can swivel and rotate 360-degrees to keep the fishing rod firmly in...
- ONE YEAR WARRANTY-- One year warranty and full money back guarantee.Just feel free to contact seller...
What if you get a 2-in-1 jigging and spinning rod for the price of one? That would be amazing, right? That’s exactly what the Fliblink Jigging rod offer! It is specially designed for the vertical jig and can still be used for other techniques such as spinning.
The Fiblink Saltwater fishing rod comes with two tips, one each for spinning and casting. It gives you the freedom to use the rod for multiple activities for the price of one. Further, the Fiblink jigging rod features carbon fiber construction, making it strong yet light and hard yet sensitive.
Once you buy the rod, you can rest assured that it will last longer due to its quality construction. The stainless steel guides with ceramic inserts ensure smooth casting and long-lasting performance. Also, its alloy reel seat is made from aluminum for added strength.
What’s more? Its tail is covered by a rubber sleeve, along with a 360-degree rotating gimble. It will provide more leeway, letting you control target fish in a hassle-free manner. Additionally, its EVA handle adds to the comfort as well as a strong grip for both fresh and saltwater fishing.
- Carbon blank
- 5 feet 6 inches
- 4+1 guides for spinning
- 5+1 guides for casting
- Line weight: 30-50 lbs
- Lure weight: 2-6 oz
- Offers two rods of varying fishing styles
- Comfortable handle that also provides a strong grip
- Gimbal will let you rotate it to find the perfect angle
- Lightweight and durable construction makes it ideal for jigging
- 1-year warranty
- Does not come with assembly instructions
The Fiblink jigging rod is lightweight, strong, durable, and comes with dual tips.
- PREMIUM SCII GRAPHITE CONSTRUCTION: Perfect for anglers who appreciate high-performance without high...
- ADVANCED REINFORCING TECHNOLOGY (ART): Adds an exotic carbon fiber material for much greater...
- FEATURES: Sea Guide guides with aluminum-oxide rings; Fuji PSS-SD palming reel seat with black hood;...
- SPECIFICATIONS: Length – 5’8”; Power – XH; Action – Mod. Fast; Pieces – 1; Line Weight...
- 5-YEAR WARRANTY: Backed by St. Croix Superstar Service
Graphite is one of the lightest material for rods, making St. Croix Mojo one of the best walleye jigging rod. If you are looking for fishing gear that is strong yet sensitive, this is the ideal rod for you. It will let you know as soon as the walleye strikes so that you can pull back instantly.
That is not all. St. Croix Mojo comes with added carbon without increasing its width or weight. It makes the rod stronger, letting you control trickier situations and battle fish easily. It is a short rod, made for fast action and medium power.
From its aluminum-oxide guide to the palming reel seat, this jigging rod is built to last long. Despite its hard construction, it features a soft and comfortable EVA handle. It not only reduces the strain on your hand but also provides an exclusive grip.
The St. Croix jigging rod also features a Fuji gimbal for precise angle and control. What’s more? The rod comes with a 5-year warranty that is backed by the St. Croix Superstar service.
- Graphite construction
- 5 feet 8 inches
- Line weight: 80-200 lbs
- Rod weight: 10 oz
- lightweight construction for jigging walleye
- EVA handle provides added comfort as well as grip
- Aluminum-oxide guides are durable irrespective of salt or freshwater use
- 5-year warranty
- Eyelet may dislodge during the setup making the rod useless
The St. Croix Mojo Jig features graphite construction, making it one of the preferred jigging rods. It will let you sense the walleye and allow quick action as well as retrieval. You get all this at an affordable price, along with durable construction.
Best Walleye Trolling Rods
- Solid Construction - Solid E-glass graphite composite blanks offer incredible pulling power. Strong...
- High-Quality Roller Guides - Smooth polished line protecting stainless steel roller guides, wear...
- Extreme Exposure Reel Seat -Aluminum alloy wheel seat with tapered hood transitions above and below...
- High Density EVA Handles - High density EVA gives greater sensitivity and durability. Handles and...
- Excellent Design - Precise data calculation and the perfect combination of performance presents a...
One of the key requirements of a trolling rod is that it should be long. The Fiblink rods vary from 5 feet 1 inch to 7 feet. Needless to say, the 7’ rod would be the ideal for trolling.
The extra-large Fiblink trolling rod comes with a total of 7 guides for smooth functioning and greater performance. Its BRHT stainless-steel roller guides help in minimizing strain on your hands, letting you catch fish in an efficient and hassle-free manner.
The rod features an e-glass graphite composition blank, which is extremely strong and durable. It is the ideal rod to battle even a big fish. Further, its aluminum alloy reel seat and top-guide chrome-plated stainless steel reflect its ultra-tough construction. Additionally, the material also protects your rod from corrosion.
The aluminum gimbal of this Fiblink rod prevents fatigue even during prolonged fishing sessions. It features a heavy reverse knurling nut that makes the bonding even stronger. Additionally, the EVA handle is long and assures a strong grip.
- Rod weight: 23.7 oz
- Power: Heavy
- Length: 7 feet
- Guides: 7
- Its long and comfortable EVA handle will let you battle for a prolonged period
- The stainless-steel is corrosion free, letting you fish in fresh as well as saltwater
- It comes in 2 pieces to conveniently carry around even when traveling
- Misaligned guides
The Fiblink features everything that should be available in the best walleye trolling rod. It has heavy power and moderate action, comes with a long and tough handle, and is 7 feet in length. Further, its heavy-duty construction ensures that the rod is built to last long.
- Product Type: Fishing Equipment
- Package Height: 13.97 Centimeters
- Package Length: 134.62 Centimeters
- Package Width: 20.32 Centimeters
If you are looking for a trolling rod and reel combo, this is one of the best options. The Okuma Great Lakes trolling combo will let you catch walleye with extreme ease.
It features e-glass blank construction, making the rod sensitive to walleye bites. With the Okuma trolling rod, you can rest assured that you are going to catch plenty of walleye. Further, it is built to last long.
Not only the blank, even the guides of the Okuma trolling rod feature quality construction. They are made of double-footed aluminum oxide for added strength. Moreover, its reel seats are also stainless-steel. Thus, the rod is resistant to corrosion, letting you fish in fresh and saltwater.
The Okuma trolling rod has a comfortable EVA handle that features foam grips. It lets you troll for long hours without much fatigue. Also, adding and removing the rod from the stand is smooth and easy.
The quality construction of the complementary Okuma reel adds to the functionality of the rod. It comes with 2 BB bearings along with machine-cut brass gearing.
- Length: 8 feet 6 inches
- 2 BB bearings
- E-glass blank
- Rod and reel combo
- Long rod makes for an ideal trolling session
- The strong handle provides comfort for extended hours
- Lacks gimbal
Overall, the Okuma trolling combo is perfect if you are looking for a new rod and reel set. It features a carbon blank for medium action and strong power. Also, the handle is long and comfortable, along with the overall length of the rod.
Fiblink Saltwater Offshore Heavy Trolling Fishing Rod Big Game Conventional Boat Fishing Roller Rod Pole with All Roller Guides
- Solid Construction--Top-quality,extra-tough 1-piece tubular E-glass graphite composite...
- Stainless Steel Roller Guides--Heavy-duty Roller Guides minimize strain on you and your line,smooth...
- Extreme Exposure Reel Seat --Machined aluminum alloy reel seat keeps reel in place without...
- Unique Design--2 piece design makes it easily and affordable to fit in car,trunk,boat hatch.High...
- Fiblink Warranty--One Year Warranty Just feel free to contact seller if there is anything wrong with...
The Fiblink heavy trolling fishing rod is perfect if you want to go for long walleye fishing sessions. It features an e-glass graphite composite blank that is extra-tough, providing heavy power. With this rod, you can battle even the bigger walleye and quickly retrieve the fish.
What makes the Fiblink trolling rod the best walleye trolling rod is the strong built. It features a special roller tip guide for ultra-smooth functionality. It will let you angle the rod in whichever way you want. Further, its stainless-steel roller guides are strong and corrosion-free.
The heavy-duty guides ensure that you do not bear much strain and catch the walleye with minimal effort. Its reel seat is specifically designed to keep the reel in its precise place. It is not only strong but also corrosion-free.
The Fiblink trolling rod features an aluminum gimbal. It lets you keep the rod butt in the fighting belt so that you get added support. Additionally, the butt itself is made of aluminum, allowing you to place and remove it from the rod holder easily.
The EVA handle of this Fiblink rod is designed to minimize your fatigue while providing a strong grip. You can rest assured of the non-slip hold even if you encounter a hard-pulling fish.
- Length: 7 inches 6 feet
- Power: Heavy
- Guides: 7
- Rod weight: 22.08
- No-slip EVA handle for strong grip and complete comfort
- Aluminum gimbal and butt provides leverage while fighting and placing in the holder
- Roller tip guide lets you get the precise angle in a hassle-free manner
- 2-piece construction lets you easily transport the rod
- Comes with one year warranty
- Thin and sometimes flimsy guide legs
Best Walleye Spinning Rods
- 3-Section break down for easy travel
- Two(2) tips with different actions with each rod
- European spigot Ferrule connections for true one-piece rod feel
- Alps 316 SS guide frames with Zirconium guide inserts
- Included components: Fishing Rod
Do you love exploring new waters for fishing walleye? If yes, this rod is perfect for you. The Okuma NOMAD spinning rod is specially designed for fishermen who are travel-enthusiasts. It breaks into 3 pieces, letting you easily fit the rod in your bag for transportation.
What makes it the best walleye trolling rod is that it has two tips, one lighter and the other heavier. If you get this versatile rod, you need not carry two rods, alleviating the difficulty of carrying long rods.
Okuma NOMAD spinning rod is 7 feet in length and consists of 5 guides in total. These components not only smoothen your fishing process, but their zirconium construction makes them ultra-strong as well as durable.
It rod has two grips to let you control the long rod with greater ease. Its foregrip is 12-3/4 inches while the rear one is 12-1/2 inches long. Its power is medium to medium-high, making the Okuma NOMAD ideal for spinning.
- 3-piece rod
- Dual tips for varying actions
- Zirconium guide insert
- Guides: 5+tip
- Rod length: 7 inch
- Its zirconium guide inserts make the guide frames ultra-strong
- Both its grips are quite long, extending comfort and control
- The aluminum gimbal makes for higher
- Heavyweight does not allow long fishing hours
The Okuma NOMAD is the ideal spinning rod for travel. Though it is long, it can be divided into three sections, which is unlike most others. Additionally, the overall construction of the rod is top-notch, built to last long.
Fenwick HMG Spinning Fishing Rod
- Spinning fishing rod offers tremendous power in a travel-friendly 4-piece design
- Meticulously constructed from carbon bound blanks for exceptional strength and sensitivity
- Fuji guides help eliminate insert pop-out and enhance durability
- Sea-guide soft touch alien reel seat locks reel firmly into place
- Premium cork handle provides a steady, comfortable grip
The best walleye spinning rod must have a durable handle, which you will get in the Fenwick HMG. Its AAA cork (TAC) handle provides a strong grip irrespective of the fishing conditions. Even if your handle gets wet, it will not affect the superior grip on the rod.
The rod features carbon blank, making it light enough for quick spinning. Furthermore, they are spiraled with carbon threads taking the strength of the rod to a higher level. That is not all. It also enables fast action that is required in a spinning finishing rod.
Its stainless-steel Fuji guides are ultra-strong as well as durable, deep pressed with titanium. It not only provides unparalleled stability but also eliminates insert pop-out and is resistant to corrosion. Not only the guides, but its reel seats are also Fuji. They feature a positive lock design to secure all types of reels in place.
One of its main components is its TAC handle that is blended with EVA to provide an ultra-comfortable grip.
- Carbon blanks
- Length: 7 inch
- Power: light
- AAA cork handle
- It has a lifetime warranty for limited parts
- Carbon blank makes the rod lightweight and highly sensitive
- Cork handle adds to durability as well as comfort
- Short grip section
- Small guides
If you are looking for a rod with an extra-strong handle, the Fenwick HMG is a great option for you. It also offers strong guides as well as a special lock design for securing the reel.
- B2 burled cork designs provides the feel of traditional cork, but is more chip resistant...
- Stainless steel guides with stainless steel inserts are lightweight, strong, and...
- Classic Fenwick Actions- Time tested and proven from the original graphite rod company
Walleyes require you to act quickly, as they do not give you enough time for retrieval. With a soft tip and great sensitivity, the Fenwick Eagle is perfect for walleye spinning. Its flexible nature provides quick action, letting you catch walleyes without much effort.
Its signature graphite blank makes the fishing rod quite light and workable. Additionally, the rod extends medium power that is ideal for a spinning rod.
You get all of this without much strain on your hands. The Fenwick Eagle offers a AAA cork handle like other rods of this brand. Its grip is ultra-strong as well as comfortable, making for an all-rounder.
You can rest assured that your reel will stay in place with its stainless-steel guides that have aluminum oxide inserts. Additionally, its reel seat is ergonomically-designed to fit the spinning reel precisely.
- Graphite blank
- Rod length: 7 inch
- TAC handle
- Power: Medium
- Value for money
- 5-year limited warranty
- 2-piece construction allows you to carry the rod around easily
- The graphite blank makes for an ultralight rod
- Not as durable as some other rods on this list
Best Walleye Rod –Buying Guide
Did you already decide which of the above-mentioned rods you want to buy? There’s more to consider. There are three types of walleye rods based on which you can compare the features better.
Here’s the list of the different types of rods followed by factors to consider while choosing the best walleye rod.
Types of Walleye Rods
Walleye Jigging Rod
Do you prefer to jig all the time and still cannot master the fishing technique? In that case, your fishing rod is most likely to be a faulty one. The best walleye jigging rod must be sensitive enough, have a comfortable and durable handle, and be lightweight.
You must choose a jigging rod that is shorter than the others. Yes, it is not the most preferred for general fishing, but for this activity, it is. When you jig, you need to have a sensitive set up so that the walleye do not run away. With a short rod, you can quickly feel the strike and, in turn, pull-back faster.
Apart from that, the rod must be lightweight and flexible near the tip, i.e., fast action. A graphite or carbon blank will add to the feather-like weight of the rod, letting you react quickly.
Walleye Trolling Rod
Trolling rods are the longest of the lost, with 7 to 10 feet being its ideal length. You must make sure that despite its length, the best walleye trolling rod must be highly durable. It will ensure that the equipment does its job without breaking.
Unlike the other two rods, you can choose a trolling one that is made of fiberglass. Additionally, a moderate to heavyweight or power will not affect its efficiency. This is because sensitivity is not a significant factor here. A graphite blank will also do the work just fine.
The essential aspect of a trolling rod is its handle. Make sure that it is long, comfortable, and highly durable.
Walleye Spinning Rod
Spinning or rigging rods are neither too long nor short. The best walleye spinning rod must be around 7 to 8 feet in length. Similar to its length, the weight and flexibility of this type should also be moderate in nature.
The sensitivity requirement here is medium to high, which is why a spinning rod lies in the middle of the three. It must have a soft tip yet extend enough feel when a walleye strikes. The length adds to this feature, giving enough leverage.
How to Choose the Best Walleye Rod
If you miss certain specifications, the whole point of buying the best walleye rod will be wasted. You need to make sure that it fits the purpose. Based on the type of fishing, you must consider the following factors while buying a walleye rod.
Getting the perfect length of the rod is paramount for successful fishing. It is measured from the tip to the handle of the rod. To determine the right size, you need to ensure whether you want to fish in fresh or saltwater, fishing type, and its species.
The best walleye jigging rod would be short, somewhere around 5’8 to 6’. On the other hand, spinning and trolling rods work well when long. The size of around 7’ for spinning and between 8’ to 10’ for trolling would be ideal.
Power and Action
The precise combination of power and action is the ultimate requirement in a walleye rod. They will ensure the accurate working of your lure and bait.
While action refers to the flexibility of the rod, power means the force required to bend it. They are measured in terms of speed (slow to fast) and weight (light to heavy), respectively. Depending on your fishing needs, you can determine the type of power and action that you require.
If you want to troll, you should go for a moderate action and medium to heavy power. The best walleye spinning rod requires light to medium power and moderate to fast action. Lastly, the best walleye jigging rod will have fast action and light to medium power.
Weight of the Line
Once you can determine the power of the rod, its line weight will be easy to choose. If you need lower power, you can go for a rod with a lightweight line and vice versa.
It brings us to the conclusion that for trolling, you may require a heavy line. While for spinning and jigging, you can choose a rod with a lightweight or medium line. Generally, a range between 4 to 12 ounces would work fine.
Type of Fishing
All the above factors are linked to the type of fishing you want to do. As explained earlier, you can opt for trolling, jigging, or spinning. Along with the requirement of being sensitive enough to catch a walleye, your rod should also fit with the specifications.
Quality and Durability
Whichever purpose you choose it for, your rod must be durable enough to last for a while. Dipping in salt water, to be specific, can greatly damage the rod if it is of low quality. Furthermore, the material used will also affect the weight, and thus, ease of use.
Choosing a durable fishing rod made from carbon or graphite should be your ultimate choice. As for the handle, you may opt for your preferred style, but EVA and cork are the recommended ones. They will prolong the lifespan of your fishing rod for several years.
Brand and Pricing
Lastly, the price of the rod is a factor to consider. All expensive rods are not good, and every cheap rod is not bad. That is something you must remember. When it comes to walleye fishing rods, you can bag a great deal between $50-$150. That said, you can get a good option at lower prices too.
The brand of the rod you are buying makes a great difference in its quality. Make sure that you read the reviews of other users before making your final decision.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best blank type for a walleye fishing rod?
The blank or the material of a rod depends on the type of fishing. If you want a rod for jigging or trolling, a graphite rod would be the best option. Additionally, you can also go for carbon. Make sure to never choose fiberglass as it is slow and does not help in detecting.
If you are looking for a trolling rod, you may choose fiberglass, as this rod requires medium action. Despite its slow nature, it is good to troll as sensitivity is not an issue here. Alternatively, you can opt for a graphite blank.
Should I buy a 1-piece fishing rod or a 2-piece?
Though both rods have varying benefits, it doesn’t really make much of a difference. A 1-piece rod ensures that it will not come off while casting. Furthermore, it is great for learners as it won’t tangle while packing.
On the other hand, a 2-piece rod is perfect for travel-enthusiasts. It can easily split into two and fit in your suitcase. Thus, it is way easier to carry around.
How do I choose a walleye rod?
To choose the best walleye rod, you must first determine your type of fishing you prefer more. Once you are sure whether you want to go for jigging, trolling, or spinning, you can get to the specifications.
You will need to weigh factors like action, blank material, line weight, power, and durability. Most importantly, you must make your mind on the length of the rod according to the fishing type—Jigging, Trolling, and Spinning.
What color rod and bait are best for walleye fishing?
While the color of the rod does not make much difference, the bait and hook surely do. Walleyes can see bright colors such as orange, green, and yellow, the best. You can also choose a bright purple lure for walleye fishing.
Wrapping It All Up
Choosing the best walleye rod from the multitude of options is definitely a challenging task. That is why this article brings you all the information you need to make your purchase. Furthermore, it also gives you the best three rods of each category—jigging, trolling, and spinning.
Apart from the type of fishing, there are several factors that you must consider. These include power and action, length, and weight, along with quality and durability. In this article, you will know the exact features that should exist in your best walleye rod.
This page was last updated on 2022-08-29. Affiliate links and Product Images are from Amazon PAAPI